U2 have been forced to cancel their Glastonbury Festival headline show, organisers have revealed.
The news comes after the band's lead singer Bono underwent emergency surgery on his back on Friday (21 May).
A statement on the official Glastonbury Festival website reads:
“Following a phone call from Bono to Michael Eavis this morning, we're extremely sorry to report that the band will not be able to perform their headline slot at this year's Glastonbury Festival. This is due to the serious back injury which Bono sustained last week and the subsequent medical advice he has received.”
Speaking about the news, Bono said: "I'm heartbroken. We really wanted to be there to do something really special – we even wrote a song especially for the Festival."
Michael Eavis was equally saddened, he said: "It was obvious from our telephone conversation that U2 are hugely disappointed. Clearly, they were looking forward to playing the Pyramid Stage as much as we were looking forward to watching them.
“At this point, we have no comment to make about possible replacements for U2's Friday night slot. Instead, we would simply like to send Bono our very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery."
All eyes, however, will be on the who organisers approach to take the top slot on the Friday (25 June) of the event.
According to tabloid speculation, Dizzee Rascal could be moved up a place to headline his first major festival or Coldplay may be asked to step in.
Other possible bill toppers could include Radiohead, Groove Armada, who are already set to play the John Peel Tent on the same day, or Paul McCartney who is playing Hard Rock Calling the same weekend.
Who would you like to see? Leave your comments below.