About the European Festival Awards
11 October 2009
The European Festival Awards, produced in co-operation between Virtual Festivals Europe and YOUROPE and launched in 2009, honours the organisers and artists who make the continental festival scene such a diverse, vibrant and magical phenomenon each year.
Building on the success of the UK Festival Awards, running since 2004, the European Awards consist of a number of themed categories, awarded by a combination of public online voting and industry jury panels.
Public online voting will decide the shortlists and final winners in the following categories:
- Best Major Festival
- Best Medium-Sized Festival
- Best Small Festival
- Best New Festival
Industry juries will decide the shortlists, with the final winners decided by pubic vote in these categories:
- Best Line-Up
- Best Newcomer (Artist)
- Best Headliner
- Festival Anthem of the Year
The final winners are decided by industry juries in these categories:
- YOUROPE Green N' Clean Festival
- Artist's Favourite Festival
- Promoter of the Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award
HOW IT WORKS:
* Festivals put themselves forward for inclusion in the ‘long-lists’ via an online application process. Contact email@example.com for details.
* All festivals are entered into the Best Major, Medium-Sized or Small European Festival categories depending on their capacities.
* Public votes are weighted by each festival's capacity, to give smaller events a fair chance against larger ones.
* Public voting takes place in two stages. After a few weeks of Longlist voting, the ten nominees with the most votes in each category go through to the Shortlists round, where fans can vote again to decide the final winners. Votes carry over from the first to the second round.
* The final winners are announced and awarded at the gala Awards Ceremony which takes place at Eurosonic Noorderslag in Groningen, The Netherlands on Wednesday, 13th January 2010.
Tickets to the European Festival Awards, which will include a drinks reception, buffet dinner, live performances and an aftershow party will be exclusively available, on a strict first-come-first-served basis, to Eurosonic delegates.
To register for EuroSonic Noorderslag 2010: click here.
EuroSonic Director Peter Smidt: “These awards make a lot of sense. We are very happy and proud to welcome the European festival Awards at the EuroSonic Noorderslag 2010 edition. With so many festivals and the ETEP program already present at our conference it seems like the logical place and it feels like a homecoming. We have a great working relationship with Yourope. We look forward to develop the same with Virtual Festivals and make the European Festival Awards a big success!”