Glastonbury registration numbers down
United Kingdom | |
14 March 2008
Glastonbury Festival's organisers have confirmed that the amount of people registering for this year's event is down on 2007.
Organiser, Michael Eavis, has blamed the lack of a 'super, big headliner' for the slump in ticket
demand after not being able to secure Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay or Oasis.
to Radio 1’s Newsbeat Eavis said: “There's not as many as last year because we haven't got the super,
big, big, big sort of headlining act any more. We've gone for something middle range, although Jay-Z is huge in America.”
However he remained in a defiant mood about the
festival adding: “It's going to be absolutely brilliant. [Jay-Z
is] not like a Radiohead or a Muse or a Coldplay or an Oasis is it? So we didn't expect the demand to be quite as high.”
Speaking to VF his daughter, Emily Eavis, said that she was looking forward to Jay-Z the most. She said: “I saw him in the Albert
Hall and was absolutely blown away […] He's going to put on something spectacular at Glastonbury.”
Kings Of Leon, Jay-Z and The Verve have been
confirmed as this year’s headliners with the likes of Massive Attack, Hot Chip, Leonard
Cohen and Pete Doherty lined up to perform as well.
The registration system was set up
in 2007 to combat the growing problem of ticket touts and such was its success that the initiative won the Innovation Award
at last year’s UK Festival Awards.
Those still wishing to attend this year's Glastonbury Festival must
register by midnight tonight (Friday).
It's the last chance for fans to register for the festival, which takes
place at Worthy Farm, Pilton, from 27-29 June. To register click HERE.