New late night arena for Glastonbury
Replacing the legendary Lost Vagueness area
29 February 2008
Organisers say the aim of the new arena will be to recapture the spirit of the first ever Glastonbury Festival in 1970, when entry was just £1.
The new zone will feature 12 stages across three fields in the same area previously occupied by Lost Vagueness, which recently announced it was splitting from the festival.
Michael Eavis said: "This is a new venture, on a par with the launch of the Park last year, and I'm really excited about it. These are the fields that started off as Wango Riley's, back in the old travellers' days. They've got history, character and a great track record. As always we are continuing to improve and expand, and we're expecting this area to provide even more fun. I can promise it'll be 100 per cent better!"
Many of the same people will be involved and it expected to have a similar mix of eye-popping late night attractions, just with less burlesque by the sound of it.
Creative director Debs Armstrong said: "What
we don't want to do is create another megabrand with one central planner. Lost Vagueness was a wonderful thing,
but I think we were all getting a bit tired of burlesque a few years ago."
She said the festival will have, “all the wonderful world of things that you can do when you don't have to do burlesque any more.”
Shangri La will have a licence until 6am on the Friday and Saturday nights of the festival, which takes place at Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset over 27-29 June.