Isle of Wight Festival keeps licence for 2013

Future of the festival remains secure

Photographer:Mark Holloway

Chris Swindells - 20 November 2012

Organisers had to publish documents regarding safety plans and traffic management ahead of the event, which they claimed had been greatly improved with a spend of £200,000 so far on new traffic plans.

The organisers, Solo, also revealed plans to introduce parking charges for the first time. Festival boss John Giddings said the charges would encourage more public transport use. He also proposed two car parks, with additional lanes, entrances and aluminium track.

Giddings told the review hearing he was "profusely sorry" for what happened this year, after thousands were left in tailbacks and couldn't enter the car park when torrential rain left the site unsafe for traffic.

The festival was also told they would not have their licence restricted to five years or have the number of festivalgoers permitted reduced.

Local aerospace firm GKN, based in East Cowes, referred the festival for a license review after the events this June lost the company an alleged £50,000 in revenue due to the traffic jams.

The festival tweeted: "Now all the serious stuff is out of the way, let’s get on with the fun stuff!!"

Tickets for the Isle of Wight Festival 2013, which is due to take place from 13th-16th June, are not yet on sale. Bon Jovi and David Guetta are both rumoured to play the three day festival on the island. The first announcement and ticket sale details are expected on Monday (November 26th).


Comments

Hide Search Results

Festival Search

Tickets











All Festival Tickets