Association of Independent Festivals
About the A.I.F.
AIF is set up to promote the UK’s independently spirited festivals, encouraging efficient management of events, and
therefore a better experience for audiences and those working on events. By sharing knowledge about theft and crime for example,
AIF can help to create a safer and more enjoyable festival experience. Through advice, joint purchasing and pooling of resources
AIF can assist festivals in cost savings from staging and lighting to security and infrastructure. Networking and seminar
events to maximize the benefits of communication are open to members, friends and industry.
Brain child of Rob da Bank (Bestival) and Ben Turner (Graphite Media), AIF operates as an autonomous division of AIM (Association of Independent Music) with it’s own board and structure. It is chaired by AIM Chairman Alison Wenham, joining some of the UK's strongest and most creative music festivals as founder members. Co-Founder of Agreenerfestival Claire O’Neill has been appointed as General Manager of the Association. Combined attendance of AIF members’ events is in excess of 300,000 people each summer.
The collective voice of the AIF membership provides lobbying power where necessary for all legislative, commercial and industry issues as they relate to live events.
The organisation also operates a ‘Friends of AIF’ scheme, in similar style to Friends of AIM, opening the door to companies ranging from merchandisers to sound systems to toilet providers who wish to communicate directly with owners. At www.aiforg.com a 'Supplier Directory' of companies, freelancers and concessions for the festival industry is growing to become the 'green pages' for all festival needs. AIF provides a ‘one stop shop’ to this highly creative and attractive part of the industry.
AIF Board members are:
- Ben Turner (Graphite Media)
- Chris Greenwood (Big Chill)
- Chris Smith (Womad)
- Dave Farrow (Beautiful Days)
- Franc Gooding (Bloom Festival)
- Freddie Fellows (Secret Garden Party)
- Hugh Phillimore (Cornbury Festival)
- James Barton (Creamfields)
- Jim Mawdsley (Evolution)
- Jim King (Loud Sound)
- Joe Gibbs (Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival)
- Nick Ladd (The Glade Festival)
- Rob Challice (Summer Sundae Weekender)
- Rob da Bank (Bestival)
- Tom Baker (Field Day)
AIF welcomes applications from independent festivals of all musical genres. Each application is then approved by the AIF board.
- Applicants should own no more than 2 festivals in the UK
- have hosted at least 2 consecutive festivals
- not be more than 50% publicly or owned by corporate consumer brands
- have a minimum 1000 licensed capacity
- Share of knowledge about issues such as theft and crime, to help create a safer and more enjoyable festival experience
- 20% discount on event insurance
- Free entry to AIF organised networking and discussion events.
- Access to advise regarding environmental management in association with www.agreenerfestival.com
- Exclusive international marketing deal for members with Visit Britain
- Discounts on AIF Security Task Force fees.
- Discounted advertising packages on www.virtualfestivals.com
- Discounted admission to industry events and conferences.
- Lobbying power provided where necessary for legal and industry issues.
- Advisory body for issues in the overall live industry.
- Introductions to key service providers: Security, legal, financial, ticketing, Insurance and more.
- Exclusive member discounts and offers with key service providers and sub-contractors.
- Alliances and shared knowledge / resources with international partners.
- Regular email updates: on essential issues and diary dates
- Kite mark for suppliers representing credibility and reliability.
- Work experience scheme that brings music & event business students into independent festivals.
- Shared resources and skills with Association of Independent Music.
- Alternative to bodies representing the larger music events.
- Option for AIF membership to be paid through festival bar deal. Contact AIF for more details.
Membership is charged as follows:
|Licensed Capacity ||AIF Membership Fee |
|Registered Charity / Free Event||£500|
|1000 – 5000||£750|
|5001 – 7500||£850|
|7501 - 10000||£1000|
|10001 +||15% licensed capacity|
To become a member fill in the application here. The Board considers applications monthly.
If you would like to become a Friend of AIF, or be added to the directory, fill in the application here.
For further information contact
AIF General Manager:
Claire O’Neill: email@example.com, +44(0)208 994 5599