Our friends at AGreenerFestival.com have provided the following tips for reducing your carbon footprint and helping to build a more sustainable future for all.
1. Make sure all your light bulbs are new long life energy saving bulbs
2. Save water – put a brick (or a ‘save-a-flush’ or a ‘hippo’) in your toilet cisterns
3. When you buy appliances (like a fridge or a washing machine) look for the AAA energy efficiency rating
4. TURN EVERYTHING OFF – don’t leave on things on standby
5. Power down your computer when its not in use. Don’t use a screensaver – and unplug peripherals and routers when not in use
6. TURN DOWN your thermostat – one degree saves a lot of energy and money
7. If you own your home, double glaze – or even triple glaze
8. If you do or even if you don’t own the house – is it worth insulating the loft? This might save money
9. Use rechargeable batteries
10. Recycle bottles, plastics, paper and cans – most councils now have very good facilities
11. Recycle printer ink cartridges and mobile phones – many charities can help
12. Schemes like ‘Freecycle’ means that you can find homes for unwanted but useful things
13. Change your electricity to a green supplier – if you can.
14. Can you install solar panels, photovoltaic cells or a wind turbine to generate electricity?
15. Check out the Energy Saving Trust at www.est.org.uk or call 0800 512012
16. Do a simple carbon footprint calculation for free at www.coinet.org.uk
17. Ride a bicycle if you can – they use no petrol and you get fitter
18. Buy local products and save on food miles
19. Think about public transport – do you have to use the car?
20. REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
Click on the banner below for more green advice and information: